Monday, August 25, 2008

Keeping Your Computer Safe - Part 2

Last time we talked about keeping your computer safe with Firewalls. Today we will discuss Internet Options and Automatic Updates.

Let’s start with Automatic Updates. It is important to have Automatic Updates turned on. I’ll show you how it’s done. First, click on Start, then on Control Panel. Once there, click on Security Center. This is the screen that pops up.


If your Automatic Updates are turned off, like in the picture above, just click on the Turn on Automatic Updates button to turn them on. Then, you want to check on your settings, so click on the Automatic Updates link on the bottom of the page. This screen will pop up.

You can choose for yourself which setting you would like it to be on. Personally, I like the Notify me but don’t automatically download or install them. That way it doesn’t slow my computer down when it automatically downloads and installs updates. I can choose when I want to download and install them.

Now, let’s talk about Internet Options. While still in your Security Center, click on the Internet Options link at the bottom. A screen like this will pop up.


We’ll just be talking about the Security and Privacy tabs today. You want to adjust your security levels for each of the zones, Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted Sites. The security level you set them at is up to you, but I will share with you what I like mine to be set at. So here, for the Internet, I like mine set on Medium-high. For Local Intranet, Medium-low:


For Trusted sites, Medium:


And for Restricted Site, High:



Let’s move on to the Privacy tab. My preferred setting is at Medium with the Pop-Up Blocker turned on.

This concludes this part in Keeping Your Computer Safe. Remember, it is up to you where you want to set your security levels at, I am merely making suggestions here. But, it is important to get to know these security measures on your computer. Also, remember to continually update your computer and software. This will keep your computer running smoothly and keep it protected.

No comments: